- “Between the Bars“: A new blog platform for prisoners, from MIT’s Center for Future Civic Media.
- UK settles with disabled prisoner for £20,000, and with Guantanamo detainees for a lot more.
- Canada’s prison watchdog warns of overcrowding.
- A report card on mothers behind bars.
- Alabama: The nation’s most overcrowded, least funded prison system (as a % of state budget).
- KALW asks what will Jerry Brown do with California’s prison budget; a Sac Bee op-ed traces California’s budget woes to its prison crisis.
- Florida woman whose baby died due to pregnancy complications she incurred while in jail sues the sheriff and Prison Health Services, the private company contracted to provide medical care.
- Nebraska prison guards allege racial discrimination in lawsuit.
- DOJ: Ohio sheriffs used stun guns on inmates in a cruel, sadistic way.
- Texas Tribune: Hundreds have died of illnesses in Texas county jails.
- Inmates sleeping on the floor in West Virginia.