It’s been a busy week so I haven’t had much time to post, but here’s some news for the weekend:
- Ninth Circuit to Sheriff Arpaio: Yes, your jail must comply with federal dietary guidelines; and no, you cannot feed inmates inedible or moldy food. Full opinion here; more coverage here.
- Plaintiffs testify in civil rights lawsuit over conditions in New Orleans jail just after Katrina. They were booked on public intoxication two days before Katrina, ended up being held six weeks but never charged. For three days, they allege, they had no food, water, or functioning bathroom.
- Louisiana considering selling off some prisons as a state money-maker.
- Honoring activists against solitary confinement in Maine.
- California launches online inmate locator.
- California’s broken prison system.
- California’s broken parole system.