Still on hiatus, but in the meantime, there’s lots of news for you to read:
- “Eric Holder’s Unfinished Business“: Lovisa Stannow and David Kaiser provide a grim update on prison rape over at the NYRBlog. They’ve also rounded up news commentary at the JDI website.
- Some discussion at Ezra Klein’s blog on prisoners and citizenship, and the cost of private prisons (more on which here at the Economist).
- Pennsylvania’s Lackawanna State Prison sounds like a terrible, terrible place. In 2007, a 22-year-old inmate was forced to give birth in her cell; and that’s just one of many incidents in this article.
- “ACLU Calls On Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Officials To Abandon Plans To Use Military Heat Ray Device Against Jail Inmates.” More here from Wired and the AP.
- DOJ gives Sheriff Joe Arpaio another ultimatum in investigation of his arrest and detention practices.
- ACLU of Colorado spotlights an especially degrading form of strip searches of female prisoners.
- Michigan DOC ends ban on HIV-positive prisoners working in food service. More here from the Body.
- Second Circuit ruling on the Prison Litigation Reform Act — I’ll try to remember to blog about this in more detail when I’m back in action.