I’m looking forward to reading this new special issue of Daedalus, bringing together basically all the leading academic commentators on mass incarceration. In the meantime:
- Wisconsin settles with ACLU, agrees to spend millions bringing women inmates’ health care up to par.
- Pennsylvania lawsuit accuses guards of encouraging jailhouse suicides; Boston’s Suffolk County Jail faces investigation after suicide of high-profile “Craigslist killer.”
- Former federal inmate sues over 200 days in solitary confinement.
News & Commentary
- Oregon jail inmates garden vegetables for the local food bank; but Canada is closing its prison farms.
- Prisoner escape in Arizona brings local lawmaker scrutiny upon ADOC.
- Maryland prison hosts a day camp for inmates’ kids.
- California’s prison overcrowding crisis (and lawsuit): two inmates’ views.
- Glenn Loury on mass incarceration, this week at Crime Report and in 2009 at Cato.
Around the World