- Must-read: Governing magazine on how Mississippi, home to one of America’s most notorious prisons, became a model for prison reform in recent years. Among other reforms, Mississippi has slashed the number of prisoners kept in harsh supermax conditions at Parchman Farm by 85%.
- Must-read #2: Solitary Watch on how hundreds of California inmates get shunted into solitary confinement through the process of “gang validation.”
- The Sac Bee editorializes in favor of medical parole in California. Adam Serwer blogged about the broader issue of aging and corrections costs earlier this week.
- The ACLU asks if the political tides are finally turning in favor of criminal justice reform, and probes high number of inmate deaths in Puerto Rico’s prison system.
- A round-up of news coverage of New York’s law to end prison-based gerrymandering.
- How criminalizing undocumented immigrants serves as a boon to the private prison industry.
- Ex-federal judge, now in federal prison, decries prison conditions as inhumane and unfair.
- San Francisco’s accidental solution to jail overcrowding: a really big crime-lab scandal.