- ACLU says Alaska prisons are not that bad (well, compared to other states, which is not saying much).
- California inmates and prison officials are skeptical of supposed new prisoner rehabilitation initiative, given massive budget cuts to actual rehabilitation programs.
- Meanwhile, some confusion over whether California prisoners are, or are not, on a hunger strike. Speaking of which, here’s an update on an ongoing hunger strike among Texas immigration detainees.
- L.A. County Sheriff steps up early jail releases to alleviate budget pressures. (Commentary here.)
- Connecticut: Jail conditions at issue in Cheshire murder case.
- “Maine tortures women, too“: Solitary confinement in the Pine Tree State.
- Budget cuts threaten Minnesota inmate work program.
- Labor lawsuit delaying construction on new Pennsylvania prison. (Commentary here.)
- “Prison Break” actor on life in actual prison (namely, California’s Chino State Prison): “hell.”
- New documentary on the Angola Three, and their 37 years of solitary confinement.
- Local Virginia newspaper criticizes the PLRA (well, sort of). Meanwhile from Baltimore, another alarmist article peddling exaggerated fears of the “frivolous prisoner lawsuit.” So, here’s where I chime in with a link to the SAVE Coalition.
Legislation, Litigation, Reform Efforts, etc.
- SCOTUS won’t disturb ban on media interviews with federal death row prisoners.
- Ongoing litigation over abortion access for women in Joe Arpaio’s Maricopa County jails.
- Prison Legal News case over Colorado federal supermax murder videos heads to Tenth Circuit.
- Virginia legislature won’t be giving a handout to bail bondsmen after all.
- West Virginia bill to accelerate parole for some nonviolent offenders is moving along.
International Prison Roundup
- Council of Europe to Britain: Prisoners must be allowed to vote.
- British judges worried new sentencing guidelines will send more to prison.
- Russian prison guards on trial for raping inmates.
- Gambian prisoner says he’s been held 13 years with no charges.
- Prison staff accused of hanging inmate in Uganda.
- Thousands of Haitian prisoners fled in the earthquake.
- Calls for Venezuela to take action after several inmate deaths.
- Wrangling between India and Pakistan over each other’s prisoners.
- Grave-robbing, “a godfather situation,” and other problems in Cyprus prisons.
- In Japan, allegations of abuse in immigration detention centers.